Welkom op het weetjewel forum, van en voor Volkswagen Transporter rijders.

Groetjes webmaster Henk-1

klik rechts op de "X" dan verdwijnt dit veld

Coolant ?

vragen over de T4
Plaats reactie
Scotsman

Coolant ?

Bericht door Scotsman »

Hi there,

Last week I had an Oil change and a Coolant change,both done by a local garage. 2 days later I noticed a warning light indicating that the water was low in the reservoir. My Van is a 1995 1.9d T4 , on closer inspection I noticed that the coolant was very low ? I had to add 2 litres of water as I had no coolant and it was an emergency. The garage is closed until the 6th of January.

My question is : Was adding water to the coolant a problem ? and can I add Anti Freeze to the Coolant ? as I have a liter lying in the back of my Van.

Regards

The Scotsman
Sven_Stoffelen

Re: Coolant ?

Bericht door Sven_Stoffelen »

When it starts freezing, water is not the best thing to have in your system. Is there no other garage? Drain everything and buy anti freeze.
Pascal-141

Bericht door Pascal-141 »

It depends on WHAT coolant your garage has used ...
If they used universal coolant fluid ( mostly green or blue) : this is mostly mixed with water to a specific ratio (to get to an anti-freeze that can resist let's say -35°C)
If they used the typical G12 (or equivalent) (has an orange/pink color) : this is a "ready to use fluid" , and is not suited to mix with water .

The 1.9td engine can use both the universal coolant or the G12 , BUT do not mix them !

If the universal coolant is used , and now u had to top up 2 L of water , i would advise you to check with a meter to make sure the engine is still resistant to (let's say -25°C at least) , if not , drain some of the coolant and top up again with coolant fluid .
My current cars:
T3 doka Syncro 5E 2.3i Offroad ombouw
T3 doka Syncro 1.7TD Offroad ombouw
VW Amarok 4Motion highline
T6.1 (2020) 150-DSG ,de nieuwe werkbus
VW Crafter (model 2019) camper
Multivan Generation
Contacteer:

Bericht door Multivan Generation »

Let's say that 25% of your coolingsystem is diluted with water.
Normally the temperature it can resist is about -25.
With a 1:3 dilution currently in your system, the temperature resistance had decreased,
meaning that it can't resist -25 anymore but less. How much less is a gamble, which I wouldn't take.
There should be a formula for that, which I forgot after over 20 years.
But maybe you can find something using Google, when you're really interested :knipoog
Hint: calculations on buffers.

In the current temperatures I guess it will not freeze inside your system,
but as Pascal already mentioned is draining and topping up with real coolant again the way to go.

Regards

Peter
Plaats reactie